A plumbing fitter, or plumber as they are also called, works with fitting pipes and systems that allow us to have a good indoor environment and can shower and wash. As a plumbing fitter, you not only work in homes but your workplace can be hospitals, offices and companies.
plumbing stands for heating, ventilation and sanitation
Plumbing fitter (plumbing stands for heating, ventilation and sanitation ) (older names: plumber , plumber ), is a professional who installs and repairs plumbing systems in buildings. In addition to pipes, these facilities can consist of heat pumps, boilers, solar heating, water heaters, heating elements, fans, air conditioning systems and sanitary ware.
To become a plumbing fitter, you must first complete the three-year upper secondary education in the plumbing and real estate program (formerly the Energy Program) in Sweden. After that 850 hours multiplied by 4 periods, ie about two years as an apprentice in a company. After that, you take an industry test to become an industry-certified plumbing fitter.
The Swedish Public Employment Service assesses (August 2018) that plumbing fitters have very good opportunities for work both in one year and in five years.
Good basic education is available in the upper secondary school’s HVAC and Real Estate program. Corresponding educations can be found within municipal adult education. Further education can be provided as company education (continuing education for employees) or within the polytechnic.
All fitters have the opportunity to take industry tests and obtain certificates. An industry certificate is proof that the knowledge goals have been achieved and have the professional knowledge both practical and theoretical that the industry has established as a requirement.
The different professions in the plumbing industry have slightly different paths to the certificate, common to the certificates is that they are individual and have unlimited validity.
Three ways to industry certificate (plumbing and insulation fitters)
- Apprentice / employee in training: You have a training agreement with a company that is affiliated with the Technology Installation Agreement HVAC & Cooling and do an industry test at the end of your apprenticeship. For affiliated companies, completion of the test does not cost anything and if the fitter is approved, an industry certificate is issued.
- Fitter employed by an affiliated company: You have professional experience and achieve the knowledge goals for the profession. The company where you work is affiliated with the Technical Installation Agreement VVS & Kyl and then applies for you to take an industry test. Link to the forms: Application for an industry test For affiliated companies, completion of the test does not cost anything and if the fitter is approved, an industry certificate is issued.
- Installer employed at a non-affiliated company or experience from work in another country: You have professional experience and achieve the knowledge goals for the profession, either at companies that are not affiliated with the Technology Installation agreement VVS & Kyl or from work in other countries. You can then apply for validation of your knowledge. The validation itself costs money and if the fitter is approved, a certificate of professional knowledge corresponding to an industry certificate is issued.
How to get an industry certificate (Industrial pipe fitters)
For industrial pipe fitters, industry certificates are issued after completion of training or through an application from a company – read more here
How to get an industry certificate (Sprinkler fitter)
- Apprentice / employee in training: You have a training agreement with a company that is affiliated with the Technology Installation Agreement HVAC & Refrigeration. At the end of the training, when the company confirms that you have achieved the knowledge goals and you have passed the theory test in KUB, a certificate is issued.
- Fitter employed by an affiliated company that has worked for at least 5 years as a Sprinkler fitter: The company where you work is affiliated with the Technical Installation Agreement HVAC & Cooling and submits an application for an industry certificate Sprinkler.
Read more VVS-Branschens Yrkesnämnd
HORRIBLE Plumbing Fails Compilation
Wikipedia information about plumberPlumber A plumber is a tradesperson who specializes in installing and maintaining systems used for potable (drinking) water, and for sewage and drainage in plumbing systems.
Synonyms for plumber
- craftsman, journeyman, pipe fitter, artisan, artificer